Monday, December 21, 2009

Remembering the Simplicity of Christmas

“Christmas is not only getting too commercial, it's getting too dangerous.”

Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas

As the parent of two young children, I often wonder what Christmas will look like as the kids get older. As much as we stress that the holiday season is about more than just gifts and material possessions, most parents will agree that seeing your kids beam with excitement as they unwrap that one gift they wished for is a joy in and of itself.

So when my oldest daughter – who is two and a half – said to me that she wanted Santa to bring her Snow White for Christmas, I was amazed with the simplicity of her wish. Of course, I understand that she has no concept of how easily “Santa” could fulfill this wish as compared to, say, a pony.

It’s the simplicity of her wish that made me cherish this moment, knowing that as my children get older, the wishes will only get bigger and the importance of teaching the true meaning of Christmas will only become more important.

So for this year, at least, I am reminded to cherish the simple things that come with Christmas: time with family, food, lights, music and a few gifts sprinkled in for good measure.


-- Alex Cook

No comments: