Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmastime at the Crottiers

Sleigh bells ring! Are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening …

Even though my bedroom door is shut, I can hear the piano beckoning me. I try to play hard to get, but it only takes one more song before I follow the sound into the music room.

Mom asks me which one she should play next, and I pick out “Silver Bells.”

When Michelle wanders in, we decide to sing some trios.

We pull out “Jesus, Jesus Rest Your Head,” and reminisce how the first time we sang it in church, Michelle pulled the microphone out of Mom’s hand and sang extra loud. I remind her, “You were only three years old!"

We sing “Do You Hear What I Hear?” This is my favorite, because I sing the lowest notes in the chord for the first two verses, then switch up to a high soprano descant. Aren’t I something?

“Why does Kadee always get the harmony? I’m sick of melody!”

“When we started this song, you were too young to sing harmony, Michelle. You can sing harmony on the next one.”

Gramma stops by, and soon she and Mom are playing piano duets. Sometimes I turn pages for them; sometimes Michelle does. “Sleigh Ride” is always fun; Michelle and I sing along at the top of our lungs.

Dad sticks his head in, announcing that popcorn, fruit, pop, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are waiting for us downstairs. Michelle and I race downstairs, gather our food and cuddle with the dog on the floor, while the adults take the chair and the couch.

May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white.

 -- Kadee Crottier

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In trying to think of something profound to say, I only come up with a huge smile. Christmas time was always my favorite time of year!