Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Sight for Sore Eyes

For the last few days, the world has watched the tragic events in Japan unfold. In these moments of chaos and destruction, we hold our breath, watch and wait for a sign of hope.

My next door neighbor is from Japan and has family who lives just north of Tokyo. As she explained to me, her family may be relatively safe, inland from the tsunami-ravaged coasts and 200 miles away from the Fukushima nuclear plant, but food and water are still scarce.

Just the other day, I saw a video posted on several blogs of helicopter crews from the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Ronald Reagan – one of the first Naval vessels to arrive off the coast of Japan – delivering aid to the people of Sendai as part of Operation Tomodachi, which translated means “Operation Friendship.” I was overjoyed to see our nation reach out to people suffering from the unimaginable horror of this disaster.



Help is beginning to arrive for these people, but writing this post in a warm office with a fresh cup of coffee, lunch waiting for me in the refrigerator, I am motivated to help. So, I have made my donation to the Red Cross.

As you read this, I challenge you to do what you can to help these people in their time of need as well by making a donation.

-- Alex

No comments: